Photo

Artist Alley 2012

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
67 replies to this topic

#61 Mystic Array

Mystic Array

Attendee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:09 PM

We are in same boat. We submitted under name Demmon Dragons on 9/2/2011 and still havenít seen a status change from "submitted". Our lead time is a few weeks and need to know if going to need to make travel plans since coming from across country. If we can get any informationís that would greatly appreciated. Thank you! :P

I am in the same boat, waiting patiently and hoping for good news. I submitted under Mystic Array Apparel. It seems we would all like to know whether we're approved or not, let's wish for the best!!

#62 Ren

Ren

Attendee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:30 AM

My studio's application came back and unfortunately we were denied. We're both super bummed that we will not be selling in the alley again, but we'll definitely be reapplying next year since we had such a blast in the alley in 2011! Good luck to anyone else who is still waiting for a status update on their application! : ) I know that everyone is very busy, but if there is any advice the AA staff could give as to what we could possibly do to increase our chances of being accepted next year, we would greatly appreciate it! The application is filed with the studio name Toasty Productions. Thank you for your time! : )

#63 aisazia

aisazia

Attendee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:04 PM

I know that everyone is very busy, but if there is any advice the AA staff could give as to what we could possibly do to increase our chances of being accepted next year, we would greatly appreciate it! The application is filed with the studio name Toasty Productions.

I would appreciate the advice as well. Maybe not individually, as the coordinators already mentioned it would be too time consuming and strenuous (which is understandable at the amount of applicants) but as a general list of things that they noticed during the past jury. Perhaps a general list of tips (do's and don'ts) would be great. ;)

#64 Kanonfodder

Kanonfodder

Attendee

• Staff
  • Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:15 PM

I would appreciate the advice as well. Maybe not individually, as the coordinators already mentioned it would be too time consuming and strenuous (which is understandable at the amount of applicants) but as a general list of things that they noticed during the past jury. Perhaps a general list of tips (do's and don'ts) would be great. ;)

We would love to be able to do that for you all, it may take some time as we are not firmly entrenched into seating, guests (the ones that need tables), and staffing (how many and who). And of course trying to manage our day to day 9-5 jobs s we can continue to work on Ohayocon stuff. We will try to put something together for you guys on suggestions.

A few thoughts to chew on. The thing we ran into most (not necessarily any of you here) was not following directions and saying the rules were read but clearly not by what was submitted. Or the fact that the portfolio sent in contained very few images (not enough to build a table off of) while other submitted plenty of examples. And of course since this year is a fully Juried alley where time has nothing to do with who got in, we had sooo many wonderful submissions that any little infraction could bump someone out of the running. In this case the longer you didn't hear from us sometimes the better as it meant we were still considering you.

Hoe that helps a bit.

-Yad M. Mui

Coordinator The Alley at Ohayocon 2014

Alley Registration ROUND 1 closed!

#65 Ren

Ren

Attendee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:53 PM

We would love to be able to do that for you all, it may take some time as we are not firmly entrenched into seating, guests (the ones that need tables), and staffing (how many and who). And of course trying to manage our day to day 9-5 jobs s we can continue to work on Ohayocon stuff. We will try to put something together for you guys on suggestions.

A few thoughts to chew on. The thing we ran into most (not necessarily any of you here) was not following directions and saying the rules were read but clearly not by what was submitted. Or the fact that the portfolio sent in contained very few images (not enough to build a table off of) while other submitted plenty of examples. And of course since this year is a fully Juried alley where time has nothing to do with who got in, we had sooo many wonderful submissions that any little infraction could bump someone out of the running. In this case the longer you didn't hear from us sometimes the better as it meant we were still considering you.

Hoe that helps a bit.

Thanks so much for the response! : )

We all appreciate the hard work everyone does in the alley! It certainly can't be an easy job running it and deciding who gets in.

An additional question, is there any estimate of how many images were considered too few for a portfolio? For instance, under thirty or forty? I had the maximum number that the portfolio system I was using would allow, but maybe it was too few. I want to know if I should consider switching to a different system next year. : )

#66 Satal de Rihannsu

Satal de Rihannsu

Attendee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:05 PM

Sadness. Demon Fart Cabbage has been waitlisted. I hate that we won't be able to come. 2011, despite totaling our car on the way up, was a wonderful con and our first time at Ohayocon. Perhaps next year. Good luck to you all. ~Satal~

#67 Kanonfodder

Kanonfodder

Attendee

• Staff
  • Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:37 AM

Sorry for not replying sooner. Prepping for Nekocon is a beast this year since it is time to revamp the product I carry with me. Anyways here we go: Ren: Sometimes its not the amount you submitted. 30-40 is a fine number. I was more referring to ones we saw that had five or fewer... which there was a number of those. Or for that matter one that contained a landscape photo and two random other things that had nothing to do with anything sold in an artist alley. Now when you get to the level of being singled out that badly within 200+ portfolios, you know its bad... but I digress. Sometimes its a matter of if we have too many that are doing the same type of work you do (which we try to balance the type of artists as much as we can). Satal: Wait listed is not so much the limbo it was last year. We are actually actively seeking to fit more tables into the layout without compromising the space for each table we had last year. There are a number of people that were wait listed whom we are hoping we can find space for. So don't be too down, we will get beck to you once we get back from Nekocon and hear back from the people that deal with numbers.

-Yad M. Mui

Coordinator The Alley at Ohayocon 2014

Alley Registration ROUND 1 closed!

#68 Ren

Ren

Attendee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:54 PM

Sorry for not replying sooner. Prepping for Nekocon is a beast this year since it is time to revamp the product I carry with me. Anyways here we go:

Ren: Sometimes its not the amount you submitted. 30-40 is a fine number. I was more referring to ones we saw that had five or fewer... which there was a number of those. Or for that matter one that contained a landscape photo and two random other things that had nothing to do with anything sold in an artist alley. Now when you get to the level of being singled out that badly within 200+ portfolios, you know its bad... but I digress. Sometimes its a matter of if we have too many that are doing the same type of work you do (which we try to balance the type of artists as much as we can).

Thank you very much again for the response! While our studio's portfolio is always strictly examples and photos of what we will be selling, it's always a concern that we perhaps didn't show enough. It's good to know a ballpark figure, as it always differs from convention to convention, so I really appreciate the information! : )

I'm sure that there was a logical reason we were denied, so there's certainly no hard feelings. I just want to make sure that we are as prepared as possible for next year's application!

Good luck with Nekocon, as well as all of your other planning! It sounds like you're definitely busy!